This week on Inside the Headset we are featuring Verrado High School (AZ) Head Coach, Shawn Copeland. Coach Copeland shares the reasons why he coaches, discusses the value of his inspirational curriculum, and illustrates his goal of creating a life-changing impact for high school athletes.
Shawn Copeland was named head coach at Verrado High School in 2019. Prior to taking over at Verrado, Copeland was the head coach at Kellis High School (AZ) from 2014 to 2017. He led the rebuild of Kellis’ program, concluding his time there with a 19-12 overall record. His last two years there were his most successful as he led the Cougars to 9-2 and 7-3 records in the 2016 and 2017 seasons, respectively.
Copeland coached at McKinney High School in the Dallas, Texas area before he moved to the Valley in 2014.
- [0:30] Start of interview
- [0:58] Reasons for coaching
- [1:57] Creating an inspiring football curriculum
- [3:35] Developing grade-specific topics
- [5:10] Transforming the curriculum to fit all sports
- [6:18] High School sport psychology
- [7:47] Impacting athletes’ lives
- [13:23] Importance of team chemistry
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Cortney Braswell [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Paul Nichols [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.