This week on Inside the Headset we are featuring Southwestern Assemblies of God University Head Coach, Ryan Smith. Coach Smith discusses the transition from being a young preacher to a head coach, his offensive philosophy, and the value of attending the annual AFCA Convention.
Ryan Smith returned to his alma mater in April of 2018, when he was named SAGU’s head football coach. As a student-athlete at SAGU, Smith was the starting quarterback all four years. In 2004, he was named as an NAIA Preseason All-American and earned two NAIA National Player of the Week honors. Prior to SAGU, Smith served as head coach for Newton High School (Miss.). Under Smith’s leadership, he reconstructed the football program and led the Tigers to their first playoff game in 12 years. Before arriving at Newton, Smith led the offense for Oak Grove High School (Miss.) and spent two years teaching and coaching in Texas with stops in Palmer and Irving.
- [1:27] Start of interview
- [1:50] The transition from preacher to coach
- [2:51] Lessons learned as a high school football coach
- [4:11] NAIA football
- [6:56] Recruiting student-athletes
- [12:54] Coaching at your alma mater
- [18:29] Receiving that dream job
- [21:08] Offensive philosophy
- [26:00] Breaking down the run-game
- [29:48] Think players, not plays
- [31:49] Level II integrity
- [33:17] Takeaways from the 2020 AFCA Convention
You can follow Coach Smith on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Chad Olson [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: PJ Fleck [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.