On this episode of Inside the Headset, we team up with the hosts of Run The Power, Brady Walz and Rowdy Harper. We discuss the importance of understanding the offensive line, our adventures in podcasting, and we even break out the whiteboard to draw up a unique RPO.
Coach Walz has been coaching for 15 seasons and is currently coaching wide receivers at Ankeny (Iowa) HS. He has coached at the collegiate level for Augustana University and the University of Tulsa. Walz formerly coached at Jenks HS and Broken Arrow HS, both in Oklahoma, and he has also coached at high schools in Colorado, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
Coach Harper was a four-year starter on the University of Houston’s offensive line. After graduating, he went back to coach offensive line at his alma mater, Broken Arrow (Okla.) HS, and he has been on their staff since 2015.
- [0:08] Start of interview
- [0:57] Rowdy Harper background
- [5:15] Brady Walz background
- [7:29] Playing across the offensive line
- [9:55] Coaching o-line & Run The Power
- [18:48] Importance of coordinators understanding line play
- [21:15] GIVEAWAY WINNER
- [23:51] Utilizing podcasts to teach coaches
- [28:17] Bronco Mendenhall & playing against BYU
- [31:02] Coaching athletes to be unselfish & celebrating their success
- [40:45] Applying Extreme Ownership to coaching
- [44:23] Whiteboard RPO diagram
- [49:18] Wrap up
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Blake Anderson & The Ecks [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. You can find out more information about membership and specific member benefits on the AFCA Membership Overview page. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.