This week on Inside the Headset, we speak with Rick Jones, head coach of Greenwood High School in Arkansas. Coach Jones was the recipient of the 2018 AFCA Power of Influence Award, presented by TeamSnap. We discuss some of his off-season programs, leadership classes for players, advice for the interview process, and stories from his career.
Rick Jones began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Harding University (1976-1977) before becoming an assistant coach at Del City HS in Oklahoma (1978-1983). He then moved to Putnam City West HS (OK) until he landed his first head coaching job at Edmond HS (OK) in 1985. Jones also spent time as head coach at Tulsa Union HS (OK) (1990-1991), Missouri State University (1992-1995), and Broken Arrow HS (OK) (1995-2003). In 2004, Coach Jones was named head coach at Greenwood HS (AR), and he has led the program to seven state championships.
- [1:43] Start of interview
- [1:58] Initial start to coaching
- [6:07] Wholistic coaching philosophy
- [12:32] Each season is a one year contract
- [16:58] Annual father-son retreat
- [23:00] “Mom’s 101”
- [25:58] Offseason morning leadership classes
- [34:14] GameStrat Ad – Discount Code
- [34:48] Tips for job interviews
- [44:44] Coaches that have influenced Jones’ career
This episode is brought to you in part by GameStrat. Use the promo code AFCA2019 for 10% off any package.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Woody Blevins [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Sajan Thakkar [PODCAST]