This week on Inside the Headset we are featuring the University at Buffalo Head Coach, Lance Leipold. Coach Leipold discusses the opportunity to coach at his alma mater, the importance of creating a consistent winning mentality, and recent accomplishments at the University at Buffalo.
Lance Leipold is in his sixth season as the head football coach at the University at Buffalo. Leipold led Buffalo to its first-ever bowl win in 2019, defeating Charlotte, 31-9, in the Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl. UB finished the 2019 campaign with a record of 8-5, its third straight season of bowl edibility and second straight bowl berth, both program firsts. Two of Buffalo’s four bowl berths in school history have come with Leipold at the helm. Leipold came to UB from Wisconsin-Whitewater where he compiled an astounding 109-6 record and won six Division III National Championships over his eight seasons. A six-time National Coach of the Year, Leipold reached 100 career victories faster than any other coach in NCAA history – at any level. Leipold also has had coaching stints at Nebraska-Omaha, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Doane.
- [1:32] Start of interview
- [1:50] Early years in the coaching profession
- [3:21] Coaching at your alma mater
- [4:33] Finding your break as a football coach
- [6:23] Creating a perennial powerhouse at Wisconsin-Whitewater
- [9:05] Transitioning to the University at Buffalo
- [11:55] Establishing a consistent winning mentality
- [14:54] Recent accomplishments at Buffalo
- [18:44] Six-time recipient of the AFCA Coach of the Year Award
You can follow Coach Leipod on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Jeff Thorne [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Chris Harris [PODCAST]