This week on Inside the Headset, we are featuring University of Utah Head Coach, Kyle Whittingham’s Victory Formation session from the 2020 AFCA Convention. Coach Whittingham discusses his tenure at Utah, shares practical ways for coaches to continuously develop, and speaks to the importance of recruiting and maintaining a united culture.
Kyle Whittingham recently completed his 15th season as the head coach for the University of Utah. After leading the Utes to 11 regular-season wins, the Pac-12 South Division title, and an appearance in the Valero Alamo Bowl last season, Whittingham earned FBS Region 5 Coach of the Year honors from the AFCA. During his tenure at Utah, Coach Whittingham has led the Utes to 14 bowl game appearances, with a record of 11-3. Coach Whittingham was also honored as the 2008 AFCA FBS National Coach of the Year after guiding the Utes to a 13-0 record, the Mountain West Conference title, and a victory in the Sugar Bowl. Whittingham also had coaching stints at Idaho State (1988-93), College of Eastern Utah (1987), and Brigham Young (1985-86).
- [1:38] Start of interview
- [2:16] Longevity and sustained success at Utah
- [3:35] The transition to the Pac-12
- [5:03] Unique defensive philosophy
- [9:01] Staff continuity and the hiring process
- [11:19] Career path and role models along the way
- [16:56] Practical ways to develop as a coach
- [19:31] Maintaining a united culture
- [23:09] Critical positions and developing toughness throughout
- [28:23] College Football Playoff expansion
- [31:22] Succesful ways to handle adversity
- [32:27] Advice to aspiring coaches
You can follow Coach Whittingham on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Trent Dilfer [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Adam Cushing [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.