This week on Inside the Headset we speak with Kris Price, Head Coach for Leander HS (TX). We discuss the ins and outs of his transition to becoming a head coach and taking over the Leander program, including changing the offensive identity, growing the program, and his advice to others who want to become a head coach.
After getting his start as a coach at the middle school level in Texas, Coach Price quickly rose to be named the co-defensive coordinator at Dunbar HS (TX) in 2005. Two seasons later, he joined the staff at Colleyville Heritage HS (TX) (2007-2010). In 2011, he served as the defensive coordinator at Mexia HS (TX), and also served as the DC at Boerne HS (TX) (2012). Price was the defensive coordinator at Keller HS (TX) from 2013-18, and in 2019, he was named Head Coach of Leander HS (TX).
- [0:37] Start of interview
- [1:15] Transition to Leander HS
- [5:35] Recruiting the hallways
- [7:46] Specialization of sports
- [10:37] Importance of interview prep
- [14:40] Hiring a staff
- [17:04] Deciding to pursue a head coaching position
- [22:18] Building an offensive identity
- [25:21] Balancing the additional role of athletic coordinator
- [27:15] Main focuses going into a new program
- [30:27] Middle school feeder programs
- [34:24] Advice to coaches aspiring to be a head coach
You can follow Kris Price on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Urban Meyer [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Jeremy Hawkins [PODCAST]