This week on Inside the Headset we are featuring Fairleigh Dickinson University Head Coach, Jimmy Robertson. Coach Robertson shares his experience of coaching multiple sports, discusses the importance of putting your personal touch on a program, and highlights the significance of building a recognizable brand.
Jimmy Robertson enters his first season as the head football coach of FDU and his sixth season with the FDU Football Program. Prior to becoming head coach, Robertson was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Devils from 2015-2019.
Robertson came to FDU from the United States Merchant Marine Academy, where he coached the previous four seasons. He served as quarterbacks coach from 2012-2014, after coaching the wide receivers in 2011. Prior to his four years at USMMA, Robertson played in the German Football League (GFL) for the Plattling Blackhawks in 2009 and 2010. Additionally, he served as the assistant quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute during the 2009 season.
- [0:30] Start of interview
- [0:57] Playing internationally in the GFL
- [2:21] Coaching in America while playing in Germany
- [3:11] Head tennis coach and quarterbacks coach at USMMA
- [5:40] Professional development gleaned from collegiate tennis
- [7:38] Developing an offensive philosophy
- [9:06] Placing your fingerprint on a program
- [11:46] Laying the foundation for a culture
- [15:23] Building the FDU Fast Five-Star brand
You can follow Coach Robertson on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Aaron Fletcher [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Steve Rapp [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.