This week on Inside the Headset we are featuring Baylor Assistant AD of Player Development, Ed Jones. Jones discusses his personal journey from coaching to player development, shares the importance of mentoring athletes to become well-rounded individuals, and gives insight on the future of player development in college athletics.
Ed Jones serves as Assistant AD for Player Development under head coach Dave Aranda in the Baylor Football program. Jones made the move to Waco following two seasons (2019-20) at Kansas, where he served as Director of Player Development. Jones went to Kansas after three seasons (2016-18) at his alma mater, Houston, where he spent the final two in the same role for the Cougars.
At Kansas, Jones was responsible for the overall development of the student-athletes in the football program. Jones continued to administer the Beyond The Field program, which he created at Houston, to provide programming for the football student-athletes. The programming focused on the personal wellness, community impact and career development of the student-athletes. He created the KU Football Player Committees: career development, community impact, player wellness and social action. The committees were responsible for many student-athlete initiatives in the program.
- [1:42] Start of Interview
- [2:55] Personal journey from coaching to player development
- [5:01] Building culture within a football program
- [7:38] Networking with other player development leaders
- [10:08] Writing a book on player development
- [12:30] Helping athletes become well-rounded individuals
- [16:35] Preparing athletes for life after football
- [21:11] The future of player development
You can follow Ed Jones on Twitter
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Mike Mendenhall [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Tobruk Blaine [PODCAST]