On this week’s episode of Inside the Headset we speak with FootballScoop Content Manager and Ravenna (MI) HS Head Coach Doug Samuels and Cibolo Steele (TX) HS Defensive Backs Coach Adam Harvey. Coach Samuels is entering his first season as a head coach, and he talks about putting his stamp on the Ravenna program while also working for FootballScoop. Coach Harvey shares his views on the concepts of failure and grit, and he discusses how Steele bases defensively out of Cover 2.
Doug Samuels’ coaching career began in 2008 at North Park University as a video coordinator and working with offensive tackles and tight ends. He then served as the offensive coordinator for Holton (MI) HS (2009), coached offensive skill players at Rockford College (2010), and served as a college scout for the National Collegiate Scouting Association (2011). In 2011, Samuels began working for FootballScoop, but he continued coaching. He was an assistant coach at Shelby (MI) HS for two seasons (2012-2013), offensive coordinator at Forest Hills Northern (MI) HS (2014), and assistant head coach and offensive coordinator for Holland West Ottawa (MI) HS (2016-2017). Samuels accepted the head coaching position for Ravenna HS this offseason.
- [0:35] Start of interview
- [1:06] Joining the FootballScoop staff
- [2:56] Uniqueness of working for FootballScoop and coaching high school football
- [6:05] Podcasts he listens to during his daily commute
- [8:29] Gathering football content and applying it to his own program
- [10:04] Path to becoming a high school head coach
- [13:16] First steps he took as a first-time head coach
- [16:05] Evolution of FootballScoop
You can follow Doug Samuels on Twitter.
Adam Harvey’s coaching career began on the basketball court for New Creations (IN) HS in 2003. In 2005, he and his wife uprooted when he accepted a middle school coaching position at San Antonio (TX) Academy, where he remained for eight years (2005-2013). Harvey then joined the coaching staff at Steele (TX) HS where he currently works with the defensive backs and special teams.
- [22:07] Start of interview
- [22:16] Using failure as an opportunity for player development
- [24:23] Teaching players to “brush it off” when something goes wrong
- [29:18] Explaining his use of #LiveGritty on Twitter
- [33:01] Basing out of Cover 2 as a defense and disguising for as long as possible
- [37:06] Teaching zone coverage
You can follow Adam Harvey on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Sherrone Moore [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: John Shuman & Derek Day [PODCAST]