This week on Inside the Headset we speak with Danny Dudgeon and Johnathon Haddock, Co-Offensive Coordinators at Abilene Cooper HS (TX). We discuss how they are able to successfully collaborate from game planning to calling plays on Friday nights, they share their offensive philosophy, and we get a unique approach to getting players a ton of reps during spring ball.
Coach Dudgeon began his career as the offensive line coach for Breckenridge HS (TX) (2010-2013). He spent the 2014 season working with the offensive line at Cedar Creek HS (TX) before joining the staff at Abilene Cooper in 2015. Dudgeon was named Co-Offensive Coordinator before the 2016 season.
Coach Haddock began his career at the quarterback coach for Tulia HS (TX) (2010-2011). From there, he served as the quarterbacks coach and special teams coordinator at Harlingen HS (TX) (2012-2013), and he was the wide receivers coach at R.L. Turner HS (2014). Haddock joined Abilene Cooper’s staff in 2015 working with the quarterbacks, and he was named Co-Offensive Coordinator before the 2016 season.
- [0:37] Start of interview
- [1:28] Sharing the role of Offensive Coordinator
- [3:35] Collaboration
- [5:21] Avoiding groupthink
- [7:30] Scouting and game-planning process
- [12:00] Handling scripts and structuring practices
- [15:30] “Death by 40” – maximizing reps for players
- [19:52] Game-day locations
- [22:35] Goals for the first eight plays
- [24:50] In-game communication
- [27:40] Advice to other Co-OCs
- [29:50] Offensive philosophy and RPOs
- [33:00] Creatively naming RPOs
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Cedric Whitaker [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Bryan Nardo [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.