This week on Inside the Headset, we speak with Dan Mulrooney–Head Coach for Anna Maria College. We cover the ins and outs of being a young coach, including how he approaches interviewing and hiring coaches to his staff. We also discuss building a program of young players, creating a brand, and we hear the story of how he saved his neighbor’s life.
Dan Mulrooney’s career began as a linebackers coach at Worchester Polytechnic Institute in 2013. Mulrooney was promoted to defensive coordinator prior to the 2014 season, and he led the WPI defense for three seasons. In 2017, at the age of 28, Mulrooney was named head coach for Anna Maria College. Coach Mulrooney was selected as a participant in the AFCA’s 35 Under 35 Coaches Leadership Institute in 2018.
- [0:26] Start of interview
- [0:42] Becoming head coach at the age of 28
- [2:07] “Being a mentor, not a critic”
- [3:40] Developing your personal brand
- [5:01] Showing accountability and earning trust
- [6:26] The interview and hiring process
- [11:15] “Dr. Phil moments”
- [13:39] Time and patience
- [15:59] Saving his neighbor’s life
- [20:24] Building from the ground up
- [22:26] “Being comfortable with being uncomfortable”
You can follow Dan Mulrooney on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Dr. Alvin Parker [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Frank Frigo [PODCAST]