On this episode of Inside the Headset, we are joined by Braxton Harris, head coach for Howard Payne University, to discuss the lessons he learned as a first year head coach, the interview process, and his experience as a member of the AFCA’s 2018 35 Under 35 class.
After serving as a student assistant at his alma mater, the University of Mary-Hardin Baylor, Coach Harris was hired by UMHB to coach wide receivers and serve as the recruiting coordinator (2006-2009). Harris joined the staff at Waco HS (TX) to work with the secondary in 2010 before going to Texas Lutheran University in 2011 to coach defensive ends/linebackers and be the special teams and recruiting coordinator. He was named the assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator at TLU in 2013 and remained with the team until being named the head coach at HPU in 2017.
- [0:52] Start of interview
- [2:00] Becoming a head coach
- [5:43] Preparing to be a head coach
- [7:50] Lessons learned from the first year
- [12:15] The interview process
- [17:24] Core values of the program
- [19:35] Coaching personality and being genuine
- [22:36] First AFCA Convention experiences
- [26:16] Takeaways from the 2018 35 Under 35
- [32:24] Best pieces of advice
You can follow Braxton Harris on Twitter.
Be sure to Rate, Review, and Subscribe to the Inside the Headset podcast on iTunes.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside the Headset: Scott Sinclair & Milo Austin [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside the Headset: Pete Fredenburg [PODCAST]