On this episode of Inside the Headset, we speak with Northwestern University’s Offensive Line Coach Adam Cushing about the longevity of the staff at Northwestern, the culture that’s been established in the Wildcats’ program, and his experience presenting at the AFCA’s Skills & Drills.
Coach Cushing’s career began as an assistant coach at the University of La Verne in California (2002-2003). After staying in contact with Northwestern University, he was brought on as a graduate assistant working with the offensive line (2004-2005). Cushing was eventually hired as a full-time assistant to coach the superbacks (2006-2008). In 2009, he was named the offensive line coach and is entering his 10th season at the position and 15th overall with the Wildcats.
- [0:28] Start of interview
- [0:55] Playing football at Mount Carmel & the University of Chicago
- [4:25] Being a DIII athlete at a high-academic institution
- [6:35] First coaching job & staying connected
- [10:17] Joining Northwestern’s program as a GA & advancing
- [15:24] Growing as a coach & being “all-in”
- [17:15] Longevity as a staff & NU culture
- [21:45] Recruiting for the only private school in the Big Ten Conference
- [24:12] New football facility – Ryan Fieldhouse
- [28:37] Skills & Drills OL session
- [30:36] Chicago-guy
It’s wayyy too nice in Chicagoland today to be inside. ☀️☀️☀️
— Northwestern Football (@NUFBFamily) June 28, 2018
-80 starts already among these 3 men returning for their 5th year.
-2 time bowl Champions
-Blocked for all-time leading rusher in NU history.
MOST IMPORTANT FACT:
-They are now all Northwestern graduates. Proudest day as a coach. pic.twitter.com/G8AfJcvQFq
— Adam Cushing (@CoachCushing) June 22, 2018
You can follow Adam Cushing on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Matt Drinkall [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Pete Shinnick [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.