This week on Inside the Headset we sit down with Adam Cushing, Head Coach for Eastern Illinois University. As he enters his first season leading EIU, we discuss how he prepared himself to become a head coach, building trust with his new players, and his recruiting philosophy.
Coach Cushing’s career began as an assistant coach at the University of La Verne in California (2002-2003). After staying in contact with Northwestern University, he was brought on as a graduate assistant working with the offensive line (2004-2005). Cushing was eventually hired as a full-time assistant to coach the superbacks (2006-2008). In 2009, Cushing transitioned to work with the Wildcats’ offensive line, and he spent the next ten seasons leading the group. Coach Cushing was named Eastern Illinois’ Head Coach in the 2019 offseason.
- [0:30] Start of interview
- [2:08] Weighing new opportunities
- [3:28] Hiring process at EIU
- [6:02] Preparing for the next step
- [10:11] Hiring a staff
- [17:37] Leaning on Coach Fitzgerald
- [19:41] Key priorities in the first weeks of a new job
- [26:33] Recruiting philosophy
- [30:12] Connecting with EIU NFL alumni
- [33:42] Advice to young, aspiring coaches
You can follow Adam Cushing on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Todd Berry [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Nick Rolovich [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.