On this episode of Inside the Headset, we are joined by two tremendous Strength and Conditioning Coaches, Dave Scholz and Patrick Basil.
Coach Scholz is the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for Utah State, and he’s been at the school since 2013. Previously, Scholz has worked for Arizona State, the San Francisco 49ers, and had a prior stint at Utah State from 2006-2010. Scholz joins the podcast to give insight on nutrition at the collegiate level, while also providing tips that high school coaches can offer their athletes.
- [0:54] Start of Scholz interview
- [1:30] Athlete buy-in to nutrition
- [3:37] Defining junk food
- [4:55] Grocery shopping & weekend “cheating”
- [7:05] Quick rules for nutrition
- [13:45] High School athletes & breakfast
- [15:45] Top supplements to use
- [17:40] Importance of sleep
- [21:57] Recap
Coach Basil currently works as an Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach for Bryant University, his alma mater. He joined the staff in 2015 after spending 2014 as the Head Strength and Conditioning/ Wide Receivers Coach for SUNY Maritime College. Basil joins the podcast to discuss Bryant’s strength training program and creating athlete buy-in.
Related Article: Inside The Headset: Steve Farmer [Podcast]
- [30:37] Start of Basil interview
- [33:00] Creating player buy-in
- [39:48] Breaking up the monotony
- [42:17] Advice to coaches
- [47:44] Recap
Be sure to Rate, Review, and Subscribe to the Inside the Headset podcast on iTunes.
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. You can find out more information about membership and specific member benefits on the AFCA Membership Overview page. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.