Starting this week on Inside the Headset, through the month of December, we will feature a speech from past conventions starting with Nick Saban from the 2014 AFCA Convention in Indianapolis. Coach Saban delivered a passionate speech about coaching today’s athletes and pulled back the curtain on his program at Alabama.
Coach Saban’s career began as a graduate assistant at Kent State (1973-1974) before he was brought on full-time to work with the linebackers (1975-1976). From there, he coached outside linebackers at Syracuse (1977), then defensive backs at West Virginia (1978-1979), Ohio State (1980-1981), and Navy (1982). Coach Nick Saban was the defensive coordinator and coached defensive backs at Michigan State (1983-1987) before heading to the pros. During his first stint in the NFL, he coached defensive backs for the Houston Oilers (1988-1989). In 1990, Coach Nick Saban accepted his first head coaching position at Toledo. He returned to the NFL to serve as the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns under Bill Belichick (1991-1994). Coach Nick Saban rejoined the Michigan State program in 1995, this time in the top spot, where he remained until accepting the head coaching position at LSU in 2000. While at LSU, he led the Tigers to a pair of SEC championships and the 2003 national championship. He left LSU to lead the Miami Dolphins for two seasons (2005-2006) before returning to the college ranks to take over the Alabama program in 2007. Since then, Coach Nick Saban has led the Crimson Tide to five national championships (2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017). He and his wife Terry are the co-founders of Nick’s Kids, a non-profit dedicated to raising awareness and resources for deserving organizations throughout the state of Alabama and the Southeast.
- [1:15] Start of General Session
- [3:27] The importance of the individual
- [5:51] Developing well-rounded athletes AND people
- [9:12] The lifelong impact coaches have on their athletes
- [12:00] Building relationships and mutual trust
- [16:45] The struggles that came prior to the success
- [21:51] Mindset, vision, and discipline
- [29:01] “Be somebody that somebody wants to emulate”
- [31:19] Working under Bill Belichick
- [34:29] The pressure on today’s athletes
- [41:50] Responding to mistakes
- [45:00] Tremendous adversity leads to the greatest victories
- [51:12] Self-imposed limitations
- [55:38] Human condition is to survive, not to win the championship
- [59:50] “If you’re not coaching it, you’re letting it happen”
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Fox Sports Broadcast Team [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Chris Klieman & Jennifer Gardner [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. You can find out more information about membership and specific member benefits on the AFCA Membership Overview page. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.