This week on Inside the Headset, we speak with Southern Illinois Head Coach Nick Hill. We discuss his offensive philosophy, some of his coaching influences, and we cover his journey from basketball player at Western Kentucky, to NFL quarterback, and now serving as the head coach at his alma mater.
Nick Hill’s coaching career began as head coach of Carbondale Community HS (IL) in 2013 after finishing a six-year career in professional football. From there, he joined the Southern Illinois University staff as quarterbacks coach in 2014, and he added the title of co-offensive coordinator in 2015. Following the 2015 season, Coach Hill was temporarily named interim head coach, but it wasn’t long before he was officially named SIU’s head coach in January of 2016. Hill was a member of the AFCA’s 35 Under 35 Coaches Leadership Institute in 2019.
- [0:25] Start of interview
- [0:46] Chicago do’s and don’ts
- [2:40] Transition from basketball to football
- [5:07] Working with Jerry Kill
- [7:52] Lessons learned as a young head coach
- [10:52] The journey to head coach at SIU
- [13:27] Coaching at your alma mater
- [15:19] “Be where your feet are”
- [18:07] Offensive philosophy
- [20:26] The importance of an experienced coaching staff
- [21:49] NubAbility Athletics
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Dan Mulrooney [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Dr. Alvin Parker [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. You can find out more information about membership and specific member benefits on the AFCA Membership Overview page. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.