On this week’s episode of Inside the Headset we speak with Matt Jones, run-game coordinator and offensive line coach for Texas Southern University. This is Coach Jones’ second appearance on the podcast, and this time around we discuss inside zone run scheme, acclimating freshmen to the collegiate game, and learning how to “watch” the game as a coach, as well as share some of our most memorable press box experiences.
After serving as a student assistant at Eastern Illinois University, Coach Jones began his coaching career at Lincoln-Way Central (Ill.) HS in 2008. He then spent two seasons coaching the offensive line and tight ends at the University of Saint Francis (Ill.) before coaching the offensive line for Avila University (2009-10). Jones joined the Villanova staff in 2013, working with tight ends, then took a graduate assistant position at Tulane University (2014-15) prior to coaching offensive line for Jackson State University for two seasons. The 2017 season was Coach Jones’ first with the Tigers.
- [0:28] Start of interview
- [1:03] Transition from playing rugby to coaching football
- [2:35] Inside zone scheme
- [6:39] Running back technique on inside zone
- [12:51] Zone run scheme versus various defenses
- [16:45] Communicating alerts at the line of scrimmage
- [18:54] Acclimating freshmen to the collegiate game
- [25:46] Teaching “pull” technique to offensive linemen
- [30:40] Game-planning as run-game coordinator
- [39:52] Learning how to “watch” the game as a coach
- [44:05] Press box experiences
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Jeff McMartin & Austin Jones [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Doug Samuels & Adam Harvey [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. You can find out more information about membership and specific member benefits on the AFCA Membership Overview page. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.