On this week’s episode of Inside the Headset, we speak with Arkansas Wide Receivers Coach Justin Stepp about his entry into the coaching profession, building relationships with players, and joining the Razorbacks coaching staff.
Stepp’s career began in 2007 when he coached wide receivers and served as the strength coach for Fort Mill (S.C.) High School. In 2008, he joined the staff at North Greenville University as the receivers coach and recruiting coordinator. Stepp then spent the next three seasons at Clemson serving as an offensive video graduate assistant (2009-2010) prior to becoming the offensive graduate assistant (2011) and working closely with Chad Morris. After coaching wide receivers for Appalachian State University (2012-2014), Stepp was hired by Morris at SMU (2015-2017). Following the 2017 season, he was a member of the AFCA’s 35 Under 35 Coaches Leadership Institute during the AFCA Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. The 2018 season will be Stepp’s first year as the receivers coach for Arkansas.
- [0:27] Start of interview
- [0:50] Becoming a video graduate assistant at Clemson
- [4:47] Taking a chance by leaving a full-time Division II coaching position
- [7:03] Building a relationship with Chad Morris
- [9:19] Creating a presence at SMU & turning around the program
- [13:20] Meeting his wife Brooke & her relationship with the Morris family
- [16:35] Naming his son after Courtland Sutton
- [19:58] Developing as a recruiter
- [23:14] Becoming a coach for Arkansas
- [27:51] Being part of 35 Under 35 & speaking at the 2018 AFCA Convention
You can follow Justin Stepp on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Derek Jones [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Thad Wells & McKinley Rolle [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. You can find out more information about membership and specific member benefits on the AFCA Membership Overview page. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.