This week on Inside the Headset, we speak with Callie Brownson, offensive quality control coach for Dartmouth College. We discuss her background story, how she went on to become the first full-time Division I female football coach, and she offers her advice to coaches.
Although unable to play high school football, Callie Brownson went on to play eight seasons of professional football in the Women’s Football Alliance, and she also competed for the U.S. Women’s National Team. She began her football coaching career as an assistant at Mount Vernon HS (VA) before participating in the NFL’s Women’s Careers in Football Forum. Coach Brownson completed a scouting internship with the New York Jets player personnel department in 2017, and she went on to work the Manning Passing Academy in the summer of 2018. After the camp, Buddy Teevens–Dartmouth’s Head Coach–offered Brownson an internship with the team that ended with her promotion to a full-time coaching position.
- [0:31] Start of interview
- [0:39] First encounter to the barriers of females and football
- [3:40] Playing professionally for the WFA and the US National Team
- [5:45] The desire to coach football
- [8:27] Participating in the Manning Passing Academy
- [11:15] Two week internship with the Dartmouth football team
- [13:58] How Dartmouth has created an inclusive environment
- [17:12] The advantages of a female perspective on staff
- [18:54] NFL Women’s Careers in Football Forum
- [22:25] Advice for coaches when it comes to hiring females
You can follow Callie Brownson on Twitter.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Vincent Cashdollar [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Van Malone [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. You can find out more information about membership and specific member benefits on the AFCA Membership Overview page. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.