This week on Inside the Headset, we are releasing our Victory Formation session from the 2018 AFCA Convention, which featured former Oklahoma Sooners’ Head Coach Bob Stoops. The talk was moderated by the AFCA’s Executive Director Todd Berry, and audience members were able to submit questions to ask Coach Stoops. Their conversation included various stories from the course of Stoops’ career, his mentorship of current Sooners’ Head Coach Lincoln Riley, and the qualities he looked for in young coaches.
Coach Stoops’ career began as a graduate assistant at Iowa after he finished his playing days under Hayden Fry. He was brought on as a full-time assistant in 1985, and he remained with the Hawkeyes until joining Kent State in 1988. He became the defensive backs coach at Kansas State on Bill Snyder’s staff in 1989, and he was named the co-defensive coordinator after his first two seasons with the Wildcats. Stoops was eventually hired by Steve Spurrier to be the defensive coordinator at Florida (1996-1998). The University of Oklahoma named Stoops as their head coach prior to the 1999 season, and he led the program to 10 Big 12 conference championships and a National Championship (2000) during his tenure. Coach Stoops retired prior to the 2017 season.
- [1:14] Start of General Session
- [2:57] Football as a calling
- [4:34] Mentoring Coach Riley
- [8:09] The most memorable part of coaching
- [9:28] Work-life balance
- [12:05] Biggest influence on coaching career
- [12:54] Becoming comfortable with play calling
- [15:10] Qualities to look for when hiring a GA
- [16:20] Relationship with players
- [18:05] Evaluating and making in-game decisions
- [19:23] Biggest concerns related to football
- [24:05] Funniest recruiting story
- [25:20] The best way to build a team
- [31:15] GameStrat Ad – Discount Code
- [32:03] National championship season
- [36:54] Advice to young coaches
- [41:48] Relationship with former staff
- [42:37] Getting players to buy-in to a family atmosphere
- [44:43] A recruit’s high school coach’s input
- [46:29] Head coach’s role in special teams
- [47:56] How to keep players motivated during tough seasons
- [49:40] Response to the “dangers” of football
You can follow Bob Stoops on Twitter.
This episode is brought to you in part by GameStrat. Use the promo code AFCA2019 for 10% off any package.
Have any questions, comments, or ideas for the show? Send us an email at email@example.com.
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: Gus Malzahn [PODCAST]
RELATED CONTENT: Inside The Headset: P.J. Fleck [PODCAST]
If you are interested in more in-depth articles and videos, please become an AFCA member. You can find out more information about membership and specific member benefits on the AFCA Membership Overview page. If you are ready to join, please fill out the AFCA Membership Request Form.